My friends at WV Fox have collaborated with me to design a bespoke set of terrain suitable for table top gaming. This piece is destined to be auctioned off at their 24-hour gaming event scheduled for Star Wars Day, May the 4th 2019 (#puns). You can learn more about the team at WV Fox and Extra Life in my accompanying blog post here. Now on to the project!
From our initial conversation we decided on an outdoor shrine dedicated to a celestial fox with a Japanese theme. I immediately pictured a weathered granite shrine on a modest plinth surrounded by polished flagstones, bamboo and cherry blossoms. The polished obsidian inserts for the fox’s eyes glinted in the sunlight of my mind’s eye as a went to work trying to find a suitable fox figure we could use for the statue. Back at the studio we had a lot of items already in stock like bamboo, for my person Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago table, and other bits. I would need a good source for model trees potentially including dogwood, Japanese maple, cherry, and pine some leaf litter mix, a flagstone texture, and the central fox figure.
I quickly found a nice fox figure from my local craft store that would work perfectly for this piece, and picked up two of them just in case. This turned out to be prophetic as the first one didn’t turn out as well as I had hoped. I started out by giving the fox figure a wash with soap and water to remove any impurities that might prevent the spray primer from sticking to it, then used my granite stone technique used in the Gargoyles Portfolio. The finished piece looked ok, but it didn’t look like a statue. It looked like a toy repainted in shades of grey, so I grabbed a can of fine texture spray primer and sprayed up the backup fox figure. This turned out great once the texture grit was hand painted. The next challenge was building a plinth for the statue to stand on. My local craft store sells these small pre-cut wooden oval sheets that I use to base scatter terrain with, and I clamped two of those together to form the base. I used a third piece to drill pilot holes for the pins I would anchor the fox down with and set all this aside to dry overnight. Once the clamped plinth pieces were all glued together, I drilled out the pilot holes in the entire piece and set wooden dowels inside so that primer wouldn’t fill them. A quick shot of granite texture paint followed by some black primer and I have a nice textured base to apply my granite technique to and it was then time to set the fox idol on the plinth.
And that’s where we are at right now. I’m waiting on trees and ground cover to arrive, and I’ve cut the larger base for the plinth to sit on. Once the rest of the pieces arrive there will be more details and photos of the build process.